Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Update to Donating Breastmilk

I posted previously about donating breastmilk and my quest to find a mom who needed milk. The reasons I choose NOT to donate to a milkbank are: 1. They pasteurize it; 2. It costs $3.50 PER OUNCE, and that's with a prescription!

Through the website Milkshare.com I found several moms who were in need of breastmilk. Unfortunately, I don't produce enough milk to feed the masses. :-( Milkshare.com is a message board which is free for donors to post but asks a $20 donation from parents looking for milk. The website has more people seeking milk than donors so if you have milk to donate PLEASE post to this site and connect with someone!

Eats On Feets on Facebook has more donors than takers, so I directed several moms to that page and I heard from two of them that they were able to get milk through the referral. :-)


I had 200 ounces stored in the freezer and split it between two moms. One has another donor so she is taken care of. The other mom was introduced to me via our chiropractor and she was desperate for milk! Her little boy, John, was born two days after the twins and he only began to gain weight after she tearfully began feeding him formula. I'm so happy to have been able to help these two babies. And I will keep pumping for Little John for as long as it works for our family.

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. Thank you for this information. My IPs aren't requesting milk, so I will definitely look in to donating as much as I can!!!!

    p.s. How are things otherwise?? Are you thinking about another journey yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I head read your blog earlier! I could have sent you to MilkShare. I found it while searching for milk for our little boy, born via a surrogate. Pur surro pumped for us for months, but her milk ran out at three months. I induced lactation but maxed out at 12 oz per day, certianly not enough for my big eater. So I went on MilkShare and found so many donors. All I did was pay for the FedEx shipping and I still have a chest freezer full of breastmilk. So much milk that I had to borrow an additional chest freezer from a friend to store the milk. I'm so glad to report that my little one is 4.5 months old and has never had formula. Super important for him as he was born at 34 weeks. Yeah for donating milk!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are requesting a response from me, please include your email address in your comment!